Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Small Story Many Years Ago of William E. Maillard and Craig Bogley

William E. Maillard (long since retired) was a senion analyst in Systems Analysis, a Northrop Grumman lifer who worked his entire life at Northrop, having starting as an intern while still a student. He also was one of the smartest guys I have ever met at Northrop Grumman.

Craig Bogley (also long since retired), on the other hand, was some Northrop mucky-muck's staff guy who had a smug air of self-importance who wanted people to think that he was smarter than he really was.

Mr. Bogley had come to Systems Analysis for some real analysis that required genuine mathematical methods. Mr. Maillard, who had a Master's in Mathematicas from UCLA, actually used real mathematics when doing his analysis and writing his computer programs. He was working with Mr. Bogley on some problem that I don't remember.

What I do remember is that the discussion between Mr. Bogley and Mr. Maillard involved Mr. Maillard explaining a five step process to Mr. Bogley.

Mr. Maillard goes through the first step with Mr. Bogley. There is much nodding of head, and mutterings of "Yes, of course!" on Mr. Bogley's part.

Same thing with the second step step, and the third step of the explanation by Mr. Maillard.

Then it happened. Mr. Bogley had a question. The problem was that the question revealed that Mr. Bogley had no comprehension of step one, let alone steps two and three of the explanation!

The normally VERY PATIENT Mr. Maillard started to show his exasperation with Mr. Bogley, something I very seldom saw in Mr. Maillard. He had been very patient when explaining things to me.

But then, I did not pretend to know something that I did not know.

Stupid people look even more stupid when they pretend to know something that they do not know.

PLEASE NOTE that I did NOT say that Mr. Bogley was stupid.


Disclaimer: SORRY - This is only what I know from my point of view. No lies, just what I see as the truth.

No comments: